10 febrero 2009

mi amiga preferida

Last night, as I was falling asleep in otto’s bed, I was thinking about how hesitant I would be to ask most people I know to house sit. And it dawned on me

For the first time…in years…I have a best friend.
And a girl/woman//female at that!

Now one might argue that I’ve had best friends. But for years, I’ve had sneaking suspicions that my best friends always had better friends. In essence while maybe they were my best friend, I was not their best friend. DWT always had Leo. The R___ had the R____. Bii Jih Bah had the fraudulent admiral, and now she has Sowa. Even the 409 boys always had each other, and I felt like a 2nd tier member. There were people I was close to in New York, but as a fine journalist (and roommate) once said, “dating someone in another borough is a long distance relationship.” Following this logic, a friendship is even more difficult to maintain (probably because there’s no promise of sex to entice you into that 2 hour subway ride). So basically, not since the woman formerly known as Kate have I had a real best friend.

Until now, I think. Otto asked me to house and dog sit while the Liberator is in the hospital in Bmore. She said the landlords (land people?) could walk Teddy, but If I wanted to get away from the airfresheners, I could stay in TP for a few days and hang with the Lhasa Apso.

But its not just that. We’ve finally gotten to a point where we complain about our other friends to each other. We tend to just hang out rather than go out. And we even, as fast eddie would say, “talk about feelings”—especially boys—(without being self-conscious).

Its funny, as an undergrad it took me about a year & ½ to make more than a few good friends. Here its taken me a year & ½ to make just one. And we’re very different. To begin, I don’t have an 11 year old daughter with major disabilities. But even though our lives and personalities are very different, we’ve found some good common ground. Things like hotboxing Althusser and enjoying Thanksgiving.

No hay comentarios.: