20 agosto 2008

la boda gorda

I walked into the church foyer with papa H, and saw stevie and ms. burns in line. We slid in with them, and were seated on the groom’s side about half way down the aisle. Not long after gina and jen joined our row, and eventually, mr. BS came and sat on the end. The music started playing and my mustached first grade crush (who will be a father in 2 weeks) walked in with a bridesmaid.

Now, I’ve been to a number of weddings in the last few years, but this was my first wedding as a single adult. And I thought that would make me less sappy. Maybe bring out my bitter cynical side. But the truth is, when brewski walked down the aisle to join gordo as his best man, my eyes got teary. There is something about seeing us all together in the same room that really got to me. Just feeling the presence of these people who I rarely speak to made me so happy and at home.

I guess there’s something about the people that you’ve known since the age of 4 that really allows you to be yourself. Suddenly, I could do anything. All self consciousness subsided. You can’t get away with an ounce of pretension with the people you used to take swim lessons with. At the reception I sang along because they’ve all witnessed me in years of painful chorus classes and karaoke nights before I developed my staunch aversion. I danced wildly without fear because we’ve been forced to line dance, swing, and perform the hand jive together, and quite honestly, I’m sure I looked far more awkward on the jr. high basketball team than I ever could on the dance floor. I said whatever came to my drunken mind, because they’ve all heard my most embarrassing statements (about Lincoln’s election) and one night of eloquence would never be enough to convince any of them I’ve become “educated” or “refined.” And though we might not have a lot in common any more, though we might be in different places both physically and figuratively, our mutual history counts for more than I’d realized. They are like family. Some of them annoy me, some piss me off, others I just disagree with entirely, but I love them all.

No hay comentarios.: