02 mayo 2008

inspiracion desde tomas

cuando era en peru (hace2 anos, casi), escribi este poema. a la vez, era para practica, solo. pero ahora, es muy relevante. la inspiracion era Skinny Legs and All:

mi corazon es un combi sudamericano
y tu eres llamando un taxi.


i've also been reading a particular quote from ol' tom a lot lately, but i'm not ready to type it out yet. maybe in the coming week i'll feel the need

in other events, i'm still at only 13 pages on my paper that's due for monday, despite my epiphany on an entirely new section. apparently i'm too concise.

but i did hang with the nlirh crew last night and today, and silvia told me today that she "forgot how well i speak spanish." i almost did a spit take. but she was serious, so i assumed i'd mastered the art of looking and sounding like i can speak without the actual ability.

at that point, i started thinking about cesar for some reason. he always told me how good my spanish was. clearly it was not, especially back in those days. but i think he had ulterior motives. at least i got a good chiles rellenos recipe out of it.

and then the strangest thing happened. cesar called me. and we only talked for about 10 minutes, but it was about 90% in spanish, and he told me how much better i was and how he could tell i had been practicing. i guess all the translating for the discourse paper is paying off or something!



but really, the latina time made me realize how drastically different my comprehension is depending on the speaker. basically, the cubish, the guyenese, and silvia i can understand perfectly well. others that speak quicker, or drop their "s"es, or just have a different accent i have more problems with. plus at the end of the afternoon, when i get lazy and my mind starts to wander, i'm hopeless. but it could be worse!

No hay comentarios.: