14 febrero 2008

musica

well, i had a rough night a few saturdays ago. i was rather emotional, but two good friends who are all too far away made me feel better, and i came to an important realization.
as yellow was telling me that stoner bear wanted to give me a hug, i realized some of my favorite people in the whole world still respect their bears: davis, stonerbear, stitchy. and i certainly still respect mine. and i think there's something to be said for (pseudo) adults that aren't afraid to hug a plush animal once in a while.

bears aside though, i took a lot of long walks, and listened to some music, and was feeling better by the end of the week. i had my ipod on shuffle for one of the first times, and i've come to the conclusion that the amalgum of songs on my pod reads like a natural history of my past relationships (and not necessarily relationships). from devil's haircut to rabbit fur coat, my music has intertextuality and continues to be entextualized. neutral milk hotel, bjork, and the shins strike a deep chord. those songs are reminiscent of those remarkable moments in life--road trips to california, lakefill sunrises, and chinle campouts--and continue to take on new meanings as the songs are recycled.

they hit me almost as strongly as smells of herbal essences shampoo, coffee scented lip balm, and the smell of rotting corn on a humid summer/fall day.

on the other hand, i thought tonight would be an appropriate time to finally put together a playlist of the songs i put on the "breakup album" for the r_____ last year. and i realized that not only do these songs have very little meaning for me, i only had three of the ten on my computer already. pitiful. and now as i sit here listening to some "i don't love anyone" i wonder how long it will be until these songs become entextualized and evocative.

5 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

I was fairly certain that you were making up words in this post, but while I could find no listing for "entextualized," there is one for "intertextuality"

Still not sure how you can put such importance on all these indie rock acts and fail to recognize the vitality of Toby Keith's Greatest Hits vol 2

nell dijo...

Entextualization refers to the process by means of which discourses are successively or simultaneously decontextualized and metadiscursively recontextualized, so that they become a new discourse associated to a new context and accompanied by a particular metadiscourse which provides a sort of "preferred reading" of the discourse.

Blommaert, Jan.
2005 Discourse: A Critical Introduction. London: Cambridge University Press. (p. 47)

nell dijo...

oh, and i am not failing to recognize its importance. it simply is not on my ipod. ergo, it did not randomly present itself (along with its intertextuality) in the last week...

Anónimo dijo...

I can't believe you like The Shins too. They changed my life

nell dijo...

gee zach, we have so much in common...the shins, being nu alums, living in nj. the similarities just never end.