09 setiembre 2008

politics of motherhood

I admit to being hypocritical about a number of things. I think this happens because I'm pretty stubborn, and once in a while two things on which i refuse to change my opinion come in to conflict. For example, I consider myself "open minded." However, upon being faced with the prospect of dating someone i thought was quite nice and smart but with who i profoundly disagreed about politics (particularly a certain brand of reaganomics), i ended things. when told i was being closed minded about the situation, i said, "you're right. and i accept that."

However, one issue I still struggle with is cesareans. In 2006 31.1% of US births were via cesarean, compared to 5.5% in 1970 and 2002 (most recently available) rates for France and Holland (two of the countries with lowest infant mortality) were respectively 16% and 14%. The WHO recommends that a rate of 10-15% is advisable. There's been much research determining the adverse affects of unnecessary cesarean sections, and I tend to readily advocate "natural birth" over cesarean. In fact, I'd say that I tend to think slightly less of mothers that give birth via cesarean, even when deemed "necessary" by doctors. Somehow I believe these women should be more assertive, argue with their doctors, stand up for their "rights," and demand natural childbirth. And somewhere in my biased mind I believe that those who don't want a natural birth are just ill informed or lazy.

But I'm trying. Because I also believe that a central part of reproductive justice is giving people the right to choose to reproduce or not, in whatever way they feel most comfortable. People--meaning the citizens, not some state institution--should have choice and autonomy in their sexual and reproductive decision. This means they should be able to choose any form of partem they see most fit. And if they happen to think that cesarean section is the most advisable or preferable way to do things, I should support them.

Well, much to do has been made over Sarah Palin's womb, children, and one particular child's womb lately. And while I don't think Bristol's fetus has anything to do with her mother's ability or lack thereof to govern, NAPW President Lynn Paltrow has pointed out some of Palin's own inconsistencies on the subject of autonomous reproductive choices in an open letter to the Alaska Governor. I highly recommend clicking on that link and reading for yourself, but for those of you too busy/lazy here is the point in brief: Paltrow points out inconsistencies in Palin's stances on abortion and forced cesarean in the context of the birth of her fifth child, with whom she waited over 11 hours after her water broke to enter a hospital. Paltrow respects Palin's ability to evaluate risk and make her own decisions. She simply asks that Palin extend such respect over choices to other women. I clearly can't do the letter justice. I guess that's why Paltrow is president of a national organization, and I'm just a lowly Ph.D. student...


No hay comentarios.: